Saturday, September 19, 2009

Now... THAT'S a War Game!

I've been a proud wargamer for more than 30 years, ever since I bought my first copy of Avalon Hill's "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" on my sixteenth birthday.

Best birthday present I ever got (I bought it with birthday money). :0)

Anyway, like all good war gamers, I've always held Monopoly to be, shall we say, a bit... beneath us.

No longer.

It turns out that the British manufactured and distributed POW escape kits and hid them inside of Monopoly games given to British POWs by charities. At least one was actually used, at Colditz. (And to bring the ring full circle, I have actually played an escape-and-evasion game called Escape from Colditz.... although I must admit I don't think there was a Monopoly set hidden inside of it.)

I wish to God I had one of these for my collection. (The story says, however, that they are all gone. Alas.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep your meme clean. Thank you.