Sunday, April 05, 2009

Shameless Thanks




You have to be a certain age to remember THIS poster....

But I have reason to mourn the grave illness and immanent passing of Farah Fawcett.

Leaving aside, for a moment, the above poster, which was an object of lust for every male born before about 1970.......

I was stationed in Tuzla, Bosnia, in the days following 9/11. My family had been sent home and I was forced to return to residence on base. I was feeling down, and a lot of my friends were as well.

They (whoever "they" are) organized a group of Hollywood patriots to come visit the troops in the first decent USO tour since the early 1960s. Wayne Newton organized it, and it included a number of other Hollywood and entertainment notables--Jessica Simpson, Al Franken (who made an abominable fool of himself), among others.

Among those who came to see us on the front was Farah Fawcett--then about 54 years old, and still, er, stunning.

Astonishingly so. I had no idea.

We were feeling pretty lost then. It brightened up our week considerably when they came. And when she smiled at me. (Yeah, she smiled at me, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!) :0)

But. I'll never forget the fact she never forgot us.

Get well, angel, and if you can't get well, go home soon. You've earned it, and all honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep your meme clean. Thank you.