Monday, October 12, 2009

Tattered Remnant #015: Ilse Sonja Totzke



(Read all about the Tattered Remnants by clicking {here}.)

ALONE AND FORGOTTEN: ILSE SONJA TOTZKE (1913?-????)

In The Nazis, A Warning From History: Companion Volume to the BBC Television Series, by Lawrence Rees, (New Press, New York City, 1997) pp. 67-68, 6969, there is a discussion of the Gestapo files in Würzburg, which almost unique in Germany were found largely intact at the end of the war. The files contained information on a woman who otherwise would have been lost to history. Nobody had even heard of her before they found the file. The following is a quote from pp. 67-69, slightly edited.


Ilse Sonja Totzke went to Würzburg, Germany, as a music studient in the 1930s. [A Gestapo file in that city, still extant,] reveals that she became an object of suspicion for those around her. The first person to denounce her was a distant relative, who said that she was inclined to be too friendly to Jews and that she knew too much about things that should be of no concern to women, such as military matters. .This relative said that he felt driven to tell the Gestapo this because he was a reserve officer (though there was nothing in being a reserve officer that required him to do so).

Totzke was put under general surveillance by the Gestapo, but this surveillance took a strange form: it consisted of the Gestapo asking her neighbours to keep an eye on her.

There follows in the file a mass of contradictory evidence supplied by her neighbours. Sometimes Totzke gave the 'Hitler greeting' (Heil Hitler) and sometimes she didn't, but overall she made it clear that she was not going to avoid socializing with Jews (something which at this point was not a crime). One anonymous denouncer even hinted that Totzke might be a lesbian ('Miss Totzke doesn't seem to have normal predispositions'). But there is no concrete evidence that she had committed any offence.

Nonetheless, it was enough for the Gestapo to bring her in for questioning. The account of her interrogation in the file shows that she was bluntly warned about her attitude, but the Gestapo clearly didn't think she was a spy, or guilty of any of the outlandish accusations made against her. She was simply unconventional. The denunciations, however, kept coming in, and eventually the file landed on the desk of one of the most bloodthirsty Gestapo officials in Würzburg - Gormosky of Branch 2B, which dealt with Jews.

... in 1941, one of her neighbors denounced her, saying:

Ilse Sonja Totzke is a resident next door to us in a garden cottage. I noticed the above-named because she is of Jewish appearance.. . I should like to mention that Miss Totzke never responds to the German greeting [Hell Hitler]. I gathered from what she was saying that her attitude was anti-German. On the contrary she always favoured France and the Jews. Among other things, she told me that the German Army was not as well equipped as the French... Now and then a woman of about 36 years old comes and she is of Jewish appearance ... To my mind, Miss Totzke is behaving suspiciously. I thought she might be engaged in some kind of activity which is harmful to the German Reich.


On 28 October 1941 Totzke was summoned for an interrogation. The Gestapo kept an immaculate record of what was said. Totzke acknowledged that, 'If I have anything to do with Jews any more, I know that I can reckon on a concentration camp.'

But despite this, she still kept up her friendship with Jews and was ordered once more to report to the Gestapo. [In 1943, s]he took flight with a [Jewish] friend and tried to cross the border into Switzerland, but the Swiss customs officials turned her over to the German authorities. In the course of a long interrogation conducted in southwest Germany, she said:

I, for one, find the Nuremberg Laws and Nazi anti-Semitism to be totally unacceptable. I find it intolerable that such a country as Germany exists and I do not want to live here any longer.


Eventually, after another lengthy interrogation in Würzburg, Totzke was sent to the women's concentration camp at Ravensbrück....

In Saving the Jews: Amazing Stories of Men and Women who Defied the Final Solution by Mordechai Palliel, published ten years after the above account, it was revealed that she spent most of the war at Ravensbrück, was sent for several months to Auschwitz, was returned to Ravensbrück, and was still alive at the time the camp was liberated by American forces in 1945.

Her ultimate fate to this day is unknown.

But this much is known:

Her name was placed on the wall of honor in Yad Vashem in 1995.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for providing this information. I came across this unfortunate lady on "Nazis A Warning From History". I feel for her and for anyone who is persecuted simply for being different by small minds such as the neighbour who claims that she never killed anyone. I beg to differ. I think that she knew perfectly well where her denunciation would lead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is disgusting that this woman was sent to a concentration camp..the people that made this denunciation deserves to be hung.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Warning from History
    From Gestapo photographs, Wurzburg
    Ilse Sonja Totzke, born 1913

    Look at you, looking at me
    Out of the darkness
    Unknown, alone, unfree
    I am a warning
    I am a warning from history

    Look at me, I look like a boy – they said
    Left side, right side, and ahead
    The girl next door I will not be
    I am a warning
    I am a warning from history

    The girl next door says I don’t ‘fit in’
    Sees my friend, ‘she looks like a Jew’
    (It’s my sexuality too)
    Signs a letter, denouncing me
    I am a warning
    I am a warning from history

    I welcome Jews and all nationalities
    I despise your Nuremberg laws
    I know the death camp waits for me
    I am a warning
    I am a warning from history

    I look at you, now look at me
    Out of the darkness
    Unknown, alone, unfree
    I am a warning
    I am a warning from history

    Dave Clinch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, well in regards to Sophie's comment I'd have to say that thats not right for one you'd be stooping to the Nazis level Plus in the 1930s the German people believed Denunciation was right and no one trusted each other. There was a woman who was asked how business in her shop was going and someone walked in as soon as she said "business is bad" and the next day she was arrested. She was arrested because the Germans were offended by her comment because it suggested that the German politics (Reich) weren't doing enough to improve business for citizens.
    Its terrible what they did and how people denunciated their own family and friends but in those days it was "my way or no way" and people believed, most people, it was the right thing to do but nowadays most regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Brigitta--

    --the whole point of this essay is that there was an entire subculture of people who did NOT go along to get along and "regret it later." But they were rare as hen's teeth.

    Whether the German people believed it to be right is irrelevant. It was objectively evil then as it is now. Just as it is as objectively evil to (say) abort your child now even though it's totally legal as it was to do so in 1900 (or to do so in 2100 when it will be illegal again).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mr. Kent. It is wholly illigitimate of you to associate the subject of abortion choice with the totalitarian Nazi regime. You are just using this topic as polemic to push your agenda. Disgraceful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The 52 million American industrially murdered unborn do not agree.

    Superficially they are different. But in point of fact they are, from a Divine point of view, very, very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How genocide starts.....

    http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/511928.html

    ReplyDelete

Keep your meme clean. Thank you.